Shopping for the fashionista on your list is both simple (she wants clothes & accessories of course!) and impossible (but which ones? what size? what does she already have???). While we can’t help with everything, we’ve put together a list of special items at a variety of price points.
1) This has been a major year in nail polish. Sounds strange, but it’s true. Manicures became a new art form in 2012 and nail polish is an easy and inexpensive way to accessorize an outfit. Many nailpolish companies release holiday collections and cosmetic stores like Sephora are a great place to pick up gift sets. For something really special, pick up a bottle of OPI’s “It’s Real” – clear nailpolish with real 18 karat gold flakes and help her dazzle through the holidays.
2) Cocktail rings are one of our favourite accessories for the holiday season and given their large size, typically fall into the costume jewellery (i.e. relatively inexpensive) category. Big chains like Forever 21 and H&M are always great sources for super cheap accessories, but many of the rings at smaller local boutiques like Love of Mine and the Made You Look accessory shop also come in around the $25 mark. Parkdale’s many vintage shops are also an awesome source for blingy costume jewelry.
3) Coloured/textured/patterned tights are something that the fashion forward set can’t have too many pairs of in the winter time. Hue is queen when it comes to tights – look for them at the Bay – there you’ll find every colour and pattern under the sun. American Apparel is also a great resource if you want to take things up a notch – they have a whole line of tights with two different coloured legs.
4) Belts are a great way to totally change up an outfit and can easily be found for under $25. H&M is a great place for basics, while Urban Outfitters has some beautiful embellished waist belts. The stock at Durumi & Chocolate Shoes is constantly changing, but I would always pay them a visit any time you’re in the market for unique, reasonably priced accessories.
5) Standing around at holiday parties in 4 inch heels can be tough on even seasoned heel wearers. Give her feet a break at the end of the night by sticking a pair of foldable flats in her stocking. Even if she wouldn’t be seen leaving the house in them, she’ll be thanking you when she pulls them out of her purse at the end of the night.
6) We wrote about inexpensive statement necklaces earlier this month and one of my favourites from that collection was the sparkly pearly collar necklace by H&M. Collar necklaces are available everywhere right now and they give just the right amount of bling to an otherwise boring outfit.